Lifestyle modification involving adequate physical activity is a cornerstone in the management of diabetes. It complements the effect of the medicines used in the management. There are different forms of physical activity both indoors and outdoors which can be followed towards reaching the goal.
Fishing is a popular outdoor recreational activity which can be followed by any person or any age or gender irrespective of how fit you are. There may be parts of the world where fishing is not practical due to paucity of fresh water lakes. Going fishing has often not considered as an exercise.
There are different types of fishing- it can be a leisurely type where one casts the line and waits for the catch while sitting on a chair probably reading a book or drinking beverages or snacking which might be rich in calories or can be as part of a sport or can be fishing while kayaking which are demanding.
The benefits of fishing are many such as the following:
- It is an enjoyable pastime where one can liaise with the beauty of nature in silence except for the sound of the water rhythmically rapping against the hull of the boat or the rocks and the sound of the sea gulls, crickets or frogs depending upon the location.
- This translates into a wealth of emotional, mental and physical benefits due to the relaxation involved.
- The absence of television, computers or even phone range signals might even relax one even further.
- The relaxation lasts long after the fishing is over.
- This can be made enjoyable by going along with friends or families or classmates. These days one spends a lot of time on the screen that prevents face to face contact, laughter and discussions in a real world setting.
- Even if going alone, one can use the time to reflect, listen to songs or even make decisions which would not have been possible in a regular day to day life.
- Generally the air will be pollution free which is good for the lungs and health. It also helps those with respiratory problems.
- One will get plenty of sunshine if fishing during the day which is good for vitamin D as well as for the body rather than spending time indoors.
- While fishing, one may have to move up and down the bank of the water body to set an ideal place for the catch. Sometimes one will have to wade in the water knee or waist deep which involves core muscles as one fights to regain balance against the water current which helps as a passive strength training for the lower abdominal and leg muscles.
- Fishing is a low impact exercise. Casting the line, rowing the kayak or climbing rocks to reach a better position all help to strengthen the arm muscles as well as the back. A lot of muscles which are rarely used in day to day living are used while fishing.
- Some even cook their catch and make the whole day affair very enjoyable.
While embarking on fishing it is wise to have someone experienced in this field to help tide over a crisis or unpleasant surprise. One will need to also be familiar with the local geography and possible currents and weather changes. Certain areas might need the use of means of communication other than the regular mobile network.
However as with any exercise or sport, injuries while casting, threading the bait, reeling in as well as injuries by the bite of the fish or slipping while wading are possible.
The above article was taken with permission from https://outdoorempire.com/11-reasons-fishing-makes-you-healthier-happier/